Saturday, February 26, 2011

Furnishing the New Digs

Now that I've found my apartment, I am in the midst of finding rental furnishings. There are a lot of programs out there that offer different discounts, terms, furniture, etc.

To the internet!

Ok, so I also started off with the recommendations of the some people in the apartment industry (Thanks to Mama Martin) and also what former TDY-ers like myself have done.

Time out
TDY = Temporary Duty Assignment. I don't know where the Y came from unless it's from "Duty" and TSA would confuse the alphabet soup that is the government.
Time in


How did I finally decide on which company to use? The offering of a sleeper sofa. That's right. That's how I decided. All other factors (price, delivery, fees, etc.) were mostly equal, I needed a defining characteristic. I know that I have friends and family that want to visit while I am in DC, so I knew that I would need a place for them to sleep. (Or in the case of the parents and grandparents, a place I would like to sleep while they're in my bed.)

The team at Churchill Corporate Furniture have been great and answering all of my questions and changing my order as my mood changes.

The great thing about these furniture rental companies is that I can also rent a vacuum, DVD player, TV,  and all of the kitchen pieces. I plan on bringing my own linens though because that? Gives me the heebeejeebees. I will probably get lamps out there because I don't know where I will want the lamps and how many I will need. As far as decor, I have a couple of things that I'll be bringing, but the minimalist look is so in right now, right?

Without further adieu, here's what I've got on the furnishings so far:
Dining Room

Dresser sans mirror with matching nightstands

Coffee and end tables

The prophet sleeper sofa...and a POP! of color
Granted, my dream sleeper sofa was a fold flat chaise/sofa number with an ottoman that turns into a queen bed and had storage underneath. Sadly, it wasn't available for my lease term. Sad. Face.

Seriously. How perfect would that have been?!
Oh well. It wasn't meant to be. C'est la vie.

Next up on the checklist is utilities. Verizon or Comcast? Comcast or DirectTV? Oy. This could get interesting.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like all of the pieces are falling into place. :) love the pop of color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking forward to that sleeper sofa! better be squishy ;)

    ReplyDelete