Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mother Nature's Vacation in the District

From where DC sits geographically, we are pretty far inland. Granted we are not that far above sea level and there are many a river, and you know, like a whole BAY nearby, but for hurricane-like weather, we're kind of sheltered.

That brings me to Irene. I know that they have to tell you the worst, and hope for the best. I fared well because I never lost power and there wasn't any flooding. In fact, Sunday was a beautiful, gorgeous, sunny day.

Irene felt more like a tropical depression than a hurricane from where I hunkered down. Granted, it rained all day and there were some heavy winds, but nothing that frightened me. Heck, there wasn't even a lightening show. All in all, I will take my point for survival of a major storm and add it to the list of marketable skills for a zombie apocalypse.

The calm before the storm...Friday night.

As the first bands rolled in DC

The windiest part of the storm.

Survival gear: flashlight, candle, smoothie, and water.



No comments:

Post a Comment