Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My Impromptu 5K with a 20-Pound Pack

You may have heard from Twitter, the news, or the internets in general that there was an earthquake centered about 90 miles from DC. The 5.8 magnitude quake was felt as far away as Ohio and all up down the East Coast.

For me, I was sitting at my desk and felt a little rumbling. Kind of like in a parking garage when a car is driving up a ramp. It was kind of a vibration to start. Then it got a little more intense with the shaking and we moved to the doorway. Everyone looked around at each other realizing that we may have felt an earthquake. Being that we're not in California, I couldn't believe it was an earthquake.

For me, it was a little crazy to feel the building shake that much and I had instant nausea. It subsided, but it was not a great feeling. I can't imagine what it would feel like if it were something in eights that Japan has felt.

Our evacuation was just like a fire drill where we were all assembled and accounted for, we compared our accounts, heard a woman go into labor, and then were released to go home as there was not enough personnel to make sure the building was suitable for everyone to return. Granted, I knew enough that getting everyone back in and through security would be a tall order, I was smart enough to grab my things. I think a lot of people learned that when asked to evacuate, they bring their things with them if possible.

Once I was free to go home, I got to walk the 3.1 miles back to my apartment. Granted, I could have waited for a Metro train once Union Station was reopened, waited for a bus, or hopped on a Capital Bike, but the trains were running slow and behind, the buses were stuck in traffic, and there was not a bike to be found. So, I trekked my 5K home with about 20 pounds in my purse and lunch tote. (I picked the worst day to replenish my office fruit supply of oranges and apples.)

It was crazy to see just how many people are in the city. And that it is prepared to communicate to the masses outdoors. There is a PA system that can be heard without echo between the capital and Union Station that sounds like the voice of God. It let people know what was going on and how to navigate the rest of the day. Pretty cool. I'm glad I got to experience it when it wasn't something more serious, earthquake or otherwise.

I never thought I would have felt an earthquake in my life, so I will add that to one more unforgettable thing I got to experience here in DC.


1 comment:

  1. You can check another thing off your list! I heard they had felt a little earthquake in Colorado yesterday too.

    ReplyDelete