Sunday, April 3, 2011

Country Mouse and City Mouse

I have lived in the heart of a major U.S. city. But this? Is truly a MAJOR city.

I have spent time in Boston, Houston, Atlanta, but I have not have anything like DC. I live in a part of town call Dupont Circle named for a very complicated traffic circle with the same name. I haven't been able to truly get into all the shops, restaurants, and bars, but I like what I see! The neighborhood is quaint and clean, full of people, a great energy, and amazing views. (That's a whole post in itself.)

I have been to a Safeway and the Whole Foods, but WOW, I was not prepared for this. The stores by comparison to Denver are teeny tiny and the prices are inflated from Denver. I mean, $1.39 for one orange?! Really?! That's a little steep. But, I guess there's a high overhead with rent, transportation, storage, and locale. I am pleased to see the Whole Foods is competitive with prices for the everyday groceries.

I am really happy that people are friendly and very welcoming. I have talked to a lot of people in the neighborhood, introduced myself to one of my neighbors (I haven't seen the other one.) I have to admit I was a little concerned that people would be a little snooty and distant, scoffing at the country mouse from Colorado who wears pearls and cowboy boots.

There's an increased level of convenience here. I found a hardware store with a connected housewares store that's a mix between an antique store and Bed Bath & Beyond. They have everything...including denim patches.

I know I haven't even gotten to really be in the city, but so far, I like it!

1 comment:

  1. I can only imagine the cost of things there... yikes! Sounds like you have a lot of city to explore. Can't wait to hear more about it all. (:

    ReplyDelete